Monday, July 15, 2013

Breastfeeding-The Second Time Around

Breastfeeding the second time around isn't that different than the first. Other than I have another child to chase after and keep out of trouble while I'm feeding Michael. Now I just need to master feeding in the Moby wrap or Ergo and I will be good to go!
 
When I was pregnant with Ellie I was told by countless people about how bad breastfeeding hurt and to expect it to be horrible for at least the first two weeks. I was told that it would hurt so bad that when she would latch it would take my breath away. I was nervous, but I was mentally prepared for the pain and it was so important to me that I breastfed that I was willing to push through it. So in order to prepare I took 3 hour breastfeeding class at the hospital and was super gung-ho that I was going to make it at least a year.

After she was born she latched right away and nursed like a champ. Every time that I had to feed her I would page a nurse and have her help me make sure that she was latched correctly. I had no qualms about every one of my nurses seeing my boobs. I wanted to make sure that I was doing it right. Surprisingly it didn't hurt. There was a little discomfort but that was about it. I never cracked or bled. I was never in tears while I got her to latch and fed her. I was so thankful! She ate every 2 hours around the clock for months. She had some belly issues around 3 months and that was he first time I introduced formula. I remember sitting in the glider in her room crying while I gave her a bottle. I felt like a failure. I ended up "getting inside my head" and was constantly worried about my supply and if she was gaining enough weight. She was a dainty thing and I always had people asking me if she was getting enough to eat or telling me that she was still hungry every time she cried (which was A LOT). So the stress did eventually affect my supply and let-down. It was a vicious cycle. I continued to breastfeed, but she was so impatient and slowly more and more bottles crept in until she weaned at 8 months. I was devastated that we didn't make it a year, and I was determined that if we had more kids that I would do things differently.

Enter Michael. Just like his sister he latched and nursed like a pro right after birth. But this time I had more confidence. I didn't ask the nurses for help, and I had 2 different lactation consultants come in and offer their services before we were discharged, but things were going so well I told them thanks, but we were all set! Here we are at 2 months still going strong.


Since Ellie ended up getting so impatient with breastfeeding and ended up getting so many bottles I had no desire to give Michael a bottle. EVER. Even if that meant I could never leave his side for the next 6+ months. However; due to some recent circumstances I realized that I should make sure he could take a bottle in case there was ever a time that I had to leave him with someone so at 8 weeks he just had his first experience with a bottle of breast milk. I put an ounce in a bottle and gave it to Mike and he drank it no problem. I was pretty shocked because he doesn't do so well with a pacifier so I figured he would do about the same with the bottle. I am happy, but at the same time I kind of feel like he cheated on me! Thankfully, there was no problems the next time he nursed, but a bottle will not be a regular thing.
 
 
Ellie has seen me nurse Michael from the beginning and sees me pump too. I want to make sure that breastfeeding is normal for her and that she doesn't ever feel like it's something that has to be hidden or that is taboo. With Ellie I was so nervous about nursing in public. I spent a lot of time feeding her sitting in a bathroom. Gross. This time-not so much. Half the time I don't even use a cover. It's to friggin hot for a cover. And Michael is fussy when I try to use a cover. I wouldn't want to eat under a blanket either! I just wear a tank top under my shirt and then pull the top one up and you can't see a thing. If you don't like it-feel free to leave!



 
Now I am by NO means against formula feeding moms. My motto is "feed your baby". Whatever method that may be. Please just remember the AAP recommends no solids until SIX months of age. It's hard enough being a mom; we don't need to judge each other on how our babies are fed. We're all just doing the best we can!!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


1 comment:

the workaholic momma said...

love this post!! I remember being so stressed about breastfeeding with addie...and i hate when people ask you when the baby starts crying "is she/he hungry?" I'm glad everything is going so well this time around...i dont hide any of it from addie either..its easier and i agree that is shouldnt be something that is taboo!