Monday, February 4, 2013

Now This Is A Story All About How...

Mike and I met when I was a freshman in high school and he was a senior. 
Let that sink in for a minute!!!
He played on the Varsity soccer team-along with my brothers. 
When I first met him he was dating one of my friends but that didn't stop me from telling her he was cute. Long story short-they broke up and he asked me out a little bit later.

We dated for a few months then I broke up with him (I was really dumb when I was younger. And maybe a wee bit boy crazy) but we ended up getting back together that summer. Then we broke up-again.
We got back together my junior year of high school and we were still together when I went off to Tennessee for college.
We ended up breaking up again that fall but continued to keep in contact. 
When I was home for winter break from school I decided the night before I was supposed to drive back down that I was going to drive down, pack up my stuff, and move home. Nothing like last minute decisions. 

Mike and I weren't together, but we still hung out all the time and he kept asking me if we could get back together. I kept blowing him off because I was 18 and single-and pretty hot stuff if I do say so myself. Instead of gaining the freshman 15 I lost almost 60 pounds and wanted to enjoy being single. Which included a lot of girls night at da club. 
 Finally that summer we got back together and things were pretty serious. We were talking about getting married and even went and looked at some rings. In December of 2006 I moved down to North Carolina to live with my sister-in-law (who I really didn't know at the time-what were we thinking?!) while my brother went on tour in Iraq, and I was going to help watch my brand new little niece who was born on December 15th.  
Mike and I maintained our relationship and I drove home in February to surprise him for a visit. He was actually planning on driving down to NC to see me for a week but I conspired with my best friend to drive up and see him instead. On February 23, 2007 I went over to his house and he showed me a scrapbook that he made...
and on the last page he asked me to marry him. 

I wish I could say it was all smooth sailing-but it was a long hard year to make it to the altar...

No comments: