Thursday, June 13, 2013

The night we thought we were going to have a baby...

Tuesday May 7th (I was 37 weeks) Ellie and I went over to my SILs house to hang out for a little bit (where I had an Amy's spinach and mozzarella pizza for lunch-trust me it's relevant) and then we came home to take a nap. When I woke up around 4:00 Mike was home from work and I was feeling pretty crampy and my back hurt pretty bad. I walked around a little bit and took a bath to see if that would help with the back pain but it did nothing. I called our Doula (Bonnie)to let her know what was going on and she said that she thought it was the real thing and that I would probably go pretty quick. I was really in a lot of pain and it seemed like the contractions never stopped. There was no break in between them and I had this horrible constant back pain. Bonnie told me to time them but it was impossible because they never stopped. She also told me to try some different positions to help with the back pain but nothing felt good. 

My mom picked Ellie up on her way home from work and took her to my sister's house and Mike and I headed to the hospital. We valeted the car and I got a wheelchair and Mike wheeled me up to L&D. Bonnie was already there and we got checked into triage. I had been praying the whole way there "Please let me be at least 5cm. Please God Please." So when they got me hooked up to the monitors they checked me and I was a 1. Are you fricking kidding me. At the rate I was going there was absolutely NO way that I was going to be able to have a natural childbirth like I had been hoping for. The back pain was still so unbearable and the midwife offered me sterile water injections, which are 4 injections in the small of your back that are supposed to relieve the pain of back labor. I was hesitant at first because I had heard that they hurt. Bonnie and the midwife told me it would sting a little but they convinced me that it would take away the pain I decided to go ahead and do it. They weren't kidding. The injections stung like a bitch. While they did the first two I was begging them to stop-and I still have two more to go. I'm sure I looked like a huge baby; but holy crap it stung. 

And son of a B the back pain was still there.

The midwife suggested we go walk around and see if I would progress at all so out into the lobby we went. The whole time we had been at the hospital I kept saying that I just wanted to throw up. I was so nauseous and kept taking trips to the bathroom to see if I was going to vomit. Bonnie kept suggesting different positions to help manage the contractions and doing the hip press and pressing on the small of my back but it still wasn't helping with the back pain. I just kept saying "nothings helping. Nothing feels good." I kept trying to drink water and apple juice but it just kept making me feel more nauseous. Finally after a few more laps around the waiting room I went into the bathroom and threw up all the spinach pizza that I had ate for lunch. I felt a little bit better after that but not much. We finally went back into triage and they checked me again and I was still a 1 so they decided to discharge me around 11:00pm and send me home. They gave me 2 Tylenol 3 with codeine and an Ambien to help me sleep that night.

We got home and I took a quick bath and then popped my pills and laid down to go to sleep. I was still in so much pain that I couldn't sleep and got up 2 more times to throw up. I was in tears and told Mike "I'm really sorry but we have to go back. I feel like I'm dying. I can't do this anymore" so we got back to triage around 3:00am. They checked me again and I was at 2cm (so all that throwing up helped make some progress) and they FINALLY gave me some medicine for the nausea and a bag of fluid. They had me give a urine sample and turns out I was extremely dehydrated. I was finally  able to get some rest and they gave me another bag of fluid. They had me give another sample and it turns out that it showed that I was having a kidney stone. No wonder I felt like I was dying. Once I was rehydrated I felt WAY better and they discharged me again around 9:00am.

I should have known better-when I was pregnant with Ellie I ended up getting dehydrated and had a kidney stone during the third trimester too. Now we know next time to expect that I will have some sort of kidney problems between 30 and 37 weeks; and that under no circumstance can I let myself get dehydrated.

We were a little disappointed that we weren't going to meet our little man that day, but I was so relieved to finally be pain free. So the countdown to D-day continued...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

the workaholic momma said...

Oh my poor thing:( They always say that kidney stones are the closest things to labor pains...yikes, I was so uncomfortable at the end I think I would have died if I had to deal with that too!!!!