Monday, June 13, 2011

Flower Beds

Yesterday my mom came over after church to help me decide what I want to do with our hideous flower beds. They are g.r.o.s.s. And there are a lot of them. I am rather clueless when it comes to flowers. sun/no sun/shade/no shade/part sun/part shade/ walking around our house and pointing out all the weeds was pretty embarrassing haha! I kept asking "Is this a weed?" and she would say "No that is a _____ (day lilly, rose bush, hosta, tulip, lilac bush etc)" And then I would say "These are pretty, what is this?" and she would say "That is a weed." Are you starting to grasp my stupidity lack of flower knowledge.
You see, I hate weeding. HATE. We had flower beds growing up that I swear my mom planted weeds in just so my brothers and I would have something to occupy our time in the summer instead of arguing. There were 3 beds and 3 kids. Convenient huh? I also spent 2 summers working maintenance for our parks and rec department after I graduated high school. And there was always 1 or 2 weeks out of the summer that were spent entirely weeding. That's right  eight wonderful hours a day, five days a week, weeding. I did a lot of super fun jobs while working maintenance. <insert sarcasm here> but I worked with one of my best friends, got off work at 3:30, and got a pretty nice farmers tan all summer. So there were some perks. But back to my out of control flower garden...
We have lived in our house for 1 year 8 months so I guess it's time I get the jungle that is my flower bed under control. I will take before and after pictures, but I might be too embarrassed to share them! The problem is the MINUTE we've been here for the mandatory 3 years I want to get the heck out of dodge and move back to the country. So I'm stuck in a catch 22. I don't want to put work/$money$ into it because I just want to move, but we need to fix some things and have curb appeal in order to sell the house. Darn economy. So, first thing on the list is to round-up the crap out of those weeds! Were starting from fresh, and I have plenty of flowers growing wild in the back yard to fill the empty beds in a few months when it's safe to plant. Needless to say, I will be having my mother over to do it for me help me distinguish what is a plant when it comes time to weed.
I guess it's time to be a grown up and take care of our yard. We wouldn't want to be those neighbors, now would we?!
So I guess what I'm trying to say is....Who wants to come over and do it all for me? I hear weeding is really theraputic. Any takers??

Embarrassing pics to come....

1 comment:

the workaholic momma said...

I love gardening but don't particularly enjoy the weed pulling part either:( It is seriously back breaking work!